Winter is slowly fading away, and soon spring will be in full bloom. It’s the best time to go on a family vacation, leaving stress and worries behind, taking advantage of the trip to spend some quality time together and have some fun.
In this guide, discover the best spring break destinations for families to visit in 2022, from budget-friendly places to splurge-worthy trips, from beautiful beaches and lush landscape to historical and cultural destinations, in the US and in countries that are open to tourism and safe to travel to.
Related article – Best National Parks to visit this summer
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on any links and make a purchase, I’ll get a small commission, at no cost to you.
- Best Spring break destinations for families in the US
- Best international spring break destinations in 2021
Best Spring break destinations for families in the US
1 – San Diego, California
San Diego is a great spring break destination for families, enjoy the warm weather and discover some of the city’s best activities. From visiting museums to trekking in protected areas, there are plenty of things to do in San Diego with kids. Alternate between spending some time relaxing at the beach and exploring what the city and its surroundings have to offer.
Best family activities in San Diego:
- Legoland California;
- Kid-friendly museums: New Children’s Museum, Air and Space Museum, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, USS Midway (historical aircraft carrier);
- Beaches: Coronado Beach, La Jolla Shores, and Mission Beach;
- Hiking: Torrey Pines State Reserve
2 – Scottsdale, Arizona
Spring is the best time to visit Arizona as the weather is warm but not too much and the evenings are cooler. It’s a great family destination if you are looking for an outdoor adventure. Scottsdale offers plenty of hikes accessible to kids and biking trails. There are also a couple of fun water parks kids will love.
Best things to do in Scottsdale with kids:
- Hiking in McDowell Sonoran Preserve, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly trails there. One of the easiest on is Toms Thumb. You can also check out Papago Park, near Tempe.
- Biking in Apache Wash surrounded by desertic landscapes;
- Water Parks: the most popular ones are Great Wolf and Big Surf;
3 – Savannah, Georgia
Discover Georgia’s oldest and most charming town, Savannah has plenty of activities to offer for families. From discovering its colonial charm to visiting cool museums, and everything in between, Savannah is a top spring break destination for families. It’s also a foodie paradise with plenty of restaurants and cafes you can take your kids to to experience local flavors.
If you are there in May, don’t miss the Savannah Music Festival.
Best things to in Savannah with kids:
- Take a tour of the historic city with its cobblestone streets and colonial buildings. You can either take a trolley tour or a walking tour. Make sure you see the Cathedral of St. John, Forsyth Park, and Wormsloe Historic site.
- Cruise along the Savannah River and stroll around the waterfront;
- Sample some local cuisine at the Pirates’ House, a historical restaurant established in 1753 no less;
- Visit Tybee Island for some beach time;
4 – St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
When you think of Spring break you often think of a tropical beach on a remote Caribbean island. Saint Thomas is the ultimate spring break destination for families if you want to spend time lounging at the beach, gorging on seafood, and go on boating trips for some breath-taking snorkeling. Featuring gorgeous beaches, Saint Thomas is still pretty an off-the-radar destination with plenty of cheap flight options from the mainland.
Best family-friendly activities in Saint Thomas:
- Spend some time at the beach, among the most popular ones you’ll find Lindquist Beach, Magens Bay Beach, and Coki Point Beach;
- Go on a boat trip;
- Ride the sky tram to Paradise Point or stop at Drake’s Seat for breath-taking views of the island;
5 – Williamsburg, Virginia
Part of the Historic Triangle Area, Williamsburg is the perfect spring break destination to learn more about US history and its colonial past. With a blend of cultural activities and relaxing things to do, you’ll find plenty of places to visit the kids will love.
Best things to do in Williamsburg with kids:
- Stroll around Colonial Williamsburg, an open-air museum where you can learn about life in the 18th century and partake in daily activities from the past, with crafts demonstrations and actors dressed in traditional clothing;
- Visit nearby Historic Jamestowne, where the original colony was, don’t miss the museum on Virginian and Native American culture, the fort, the recreated Powhatan Indian Village, and the ships’ replicas;
- Visit the battlefield where the British surrendered in Yorktown;
- Spend some time at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, a theme park with many activities for children;
6 – Palm Spring, California
Palm Spring is a great spring break destinations when traveling with kids. The popular town offer plenty of kid-friendly activities the whole family will enjoy. Explore the amazing desert and spectacular landscape or spend so time lounging by the pool to relax a bit after a day of adventures. It’s also the perfect budget-friendly spring break destination.
Best things to do in Palm Springs with kids:
- Trekking in Joshua Tree National Park, known for its western landscapes, with many easy trails for children;
- Take a ride on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway for spectacular views of the desert, transforming into the lush San Jacinto Mountains;
7 – McCall, Idaho
Spring break doesn’t have to be all about tropical beaches and warmer climates, take advantage of the low prices offered during the off-season in McCall and go skiing this spring! The ski resort is great for kids where they learn skiing or snowboarding, while the younger ones can enjoy some sledding or just playing in the snow.
8 – New York City, New York
New York City is an awesome spring break destination especially for older kids, the city is a magical blend of culture, architecture, and nature with all the trees in full bloom this time of the year.
Best things to do in NYC with children:
- Take a stroll through one of the city’s many parks to gaze at the blooming trees;
- Take a tour, you could take a walking tour to visit some of the city’s top sights, if you are with younger kids you can opt for a bus tour. You could also take a food tour to sample some of NYC local delicacies;
- Take a cruise to Ellis Island and the the Statue of Liberty;
- Visit one of the city many museums. The most famous ones are the American Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. For something more fun and interactive, check out Spyscape or The Paley Center for Media;
9 – Washington DC
Washington DC turns into a magical city in spring,with tons of great activities for families. It’s one of the best places to see cherry blossoms in the US, which makes it an epic spring break destination. The city is a perfect blend of culture, fun, and nature with plenty of day trips you can take around Washington DC.
Best family-friendly activities in Washington DC:
- Visit some of the 18 Smithsonian Museums, Galleries, and Gardens such as the National Museum of American History, the National Postal Museum, the Air and Space Museum and the Sculpture Gardens;
- Stroll around Capitol Hill and the National Mall;
10 – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach is a classic and affordable spring break destination for families. Spend some time at the beach, stroll around the boardwalk, sample the local food, or have a fun day at one of the city’s many amusement parks, possibilities are endless when it comes to family-friendly things to do. The weather at this time of the year is just perfect.
Best things to do in Myrtle Beach with kids:
- Explore the 60-mile long Grand Strand white sand beach;
- Take a stroll on Myrtle Beach’s Boardwalk, play arcades, and take a ride on on the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel;
- Spend a day at one of the many amusement parks there like Family Kingdom for waters slides, or GoApe Ziplining and Treetop Adventure Park;
- Go green in Brookgreen Gardens, a stunning botanical garden;
11 – Zion National Park, Utah
Spring break is the perfect occasion to scratch some items off your National Parks bucket-list. Zion National Park is beautiful this time of the year and there are plenty of trails to explore with kids. It’s the perfect destination if you want an outdoor vacation. From exploring beautiful landscapes to swimming in rivers and waterfalls, you’ll find something awesome to do while there.
Best international spring break destinations in 2021
12 – Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
Way less crowded than Punta Cana, you’ll find a family-friendly atmosphere in the small fisherman village of Las Terrenas. Beautiful beaches, lush jungle, and friendly locals await for an epic spring break vacation. You’ll find plenty of things to do with kids as well as more relaxed activities. The country is open to tourism, you just have to fill in a health form and you’re good to go.
Best things to do in Las Terrenas:
- Explore the nearby beaches, rent a car for the day and explore the coast;
- Learn to kitesurf, Las Terrenas is a beginner-friendly kiteboarding spot, perfect to start. Kid as young as 8-year-old (90 lbs) can learn;
- Take a tour to Los Haitises Cave in the middle of the jungle, trying to spot bird;
- Trek to El Limon Waterfall and take a dip in the middle of the rainforest;
13 – Bahamas
With over 700 islands to visit the Bahamas are a great tropical spring break destination for families. It’s the perfect place if you want to unwind and just relax for a week or two without having to worry about anything. Pick an all-inclusive resort so your only problem will be choosing which beach to go to today.
Best places to visit in the Bahamas with kids:
- The beaches: among the most popular ones, you’ll find Pink sand beach, Tropic of Cancer beach, Treasure Cay beach, and Swimming pigs beach.
- Take a boat trip to Blue Lagoon Island to see dolphins and sea-lions;
- Take a stroll through Nassau and do some window-shopping or shop for local crafts;
14 – Yucatan Peninsula
While spring break in Cancun is popular among college students and people who want to party, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly destinations in the Riviera Maya. If you are looking for an all-inclusive vacation, check out Playa del Carmen, there you can enjoy the beach and take day trips to the nearby Maya ruins and cenotes or spend a day out on a boat, snorkeling.
You can also rent a car and take a road trip through the Peninsula for a mix of beaches and culture. Read about the full itinerary here >>
Best things to do in the Yucatan Peninsula with kids:
- Visit the colonial towns of Merida and Valladolid;
- Explore famous Maya ruins like Chichen Itza or Uxmal, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites;
- Discover the unique cenotes, underground lakes you can swim in;
- Sail in Bacalar, one of the most beautiful lagoons in the world;
15 – Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the best spring break destinations for families, you’ll be there right before the rainy season and it’s off-season so prices will be cheaper than if you go in December-January. It’s also one of the few country that is open to American tourists right now. It’s the perfect vacation spot for families if you are looking for a blend of nature with gorgeous beaches, lush rainforest, and volcanoes, and vibrant culture.
Best things to in Costa Rica with kids:
- Visit rescued animals in Rescate Animal ZooAve near San Juan;
- Take a tour of a coffee plantation with Espiritu Santo Coffee Tour in Naranjo;
- Visit Sarchi, a colorful traditional village in the Central Valley;
- Take a dip in Baldi Hot Springs;
- Discover Costa Rican rainforest in La Selva Biological Station And Research Center;
- Visit Corso Lecharia, a famous farm in Alajuela;
- Experience the rainforest from above at the Mistico Hanging Bridges;
What about you, what’s your favorite spring break destination? What about going on a road trip? Check out this epic list of the best USA road trips to go on in 2021.
Like it? Save it for later – Best Spring break destinations for families